Sunday, January 26, 2014

Wayne Newton, Goals & My Lot In Life


While I was getting ready to go to a sales meeting the other day, the radio guys were talking about Mr. Las Vegas. You know, Wayne Newton, best known for musical hits such “Danke Schoen”  and "Daddy Don't You Walk So Fast," as well as his sold-out Las Vegas performances.

For some reason, the radio heads were talking about Mr. Newton's Las Vegas home, Casa de Shenandoah, which has been on the market for a bit. The 40-acre compound with its 11,192 square foot mansion featuring three bedrooms and seven baths was reduced from $70 million to $48. Apparently, Mr. Las Vegas wanted to downsize and moved a mile away to a $3 million home with 20 acres.

Oh, what I would give to be the listing agent for Mr. Newton especially as I stare at my whiteboard with my goals and stats neatly written in black, blue, green and red marker.

With only five months left, my red numbers scream at me that I need to rustle up another transaction and a half to maintain my current earnings level. But since I’m never happy maintaining the status quo, I need an additional two or so to move up a rung on the ol’ corporate ladder.

If only I had a Mr. Las Vegas for a client. But to get one of those, you need to have people who know people who, well, you know, know people. Yep, those kinds of people.

I don’t have any of those kind of people. Instead, I have the I-got-my-shades-on-top-back-rolling-with-the music-jacked kind of people. I’ve got the double-wide-on-an-acre kind of people. I’ve got the 9-to-5-trying-to scrape-by kind of people.  I’ve got the working-to-clean-up-my-credit kind of people. Yep, those are my kind people.

Now, don’t get me wrong. I love my kind of people, but I’d be lyin’ if I didn’t say that just once, just once, I’d like a Mister Las Vegas to come my way. Just once.  Hails Bails, I’d even be happy with a referral fee on a $48-million sale. I wouldn’t need to be the listing agent. I’m not greedy. Just once.

But you have to know people who know people who, well, you know, know people to get one of those.

And, sadly, I don’t know any of those people.

Such is my lot in life, both figuratively and literally.


No comments:

Post a Comment